Skip to main content

My spouse is not a US citizen and he came up here on a visa and we had gotten married how do he become a US citizen.

Jacksonville, FL |

my husband came to north carolina from haiti a while back on a visa we got married but he do not a social security number so he can not get a job so how do he go about doing all that i know its going to be some money but around how much.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7

Best Answer

If you are a US Citizen, you can possibly file for him his I-485 and I-130 to be able for him to become a permanent resident. He can then apply for a work permit that will enable him to get a Social Security Card.He should contact an experienced immigrationa ttorney who can examine the full facts of his case and provide a legal opinion as to what immigration relief, if any, he can qualify for. You may qulaify for legal services to be able to assist you with this and it is possible that the documents can be done with the fee waiver if you qualify. Further, he may wish to see if he qualifies for TPS that can confirm that he is in current temporary legal status. Good luck.

Si vous íªtes un Citoyen d'Etats-Unis, vous pouvez classer probablement pour lui son I-485 et I-130 pouvoir pour lui devenir un habitant permanent. Il peut faire alors une demande d'un permis de travail qui lui rendra capable obtenir un Carte.Il de Sécurité sociale devrait contacter un immigrationa ttorney expérimenté qui peut examiner les faits pleins de son cas et fournit une opinion légale quant í ce que le soulagement d'immigration, si n'importe lequel, il peut qualifier pour. Vous pouvez qulaify pour les services légaux pour pouvoir vous aider avec ceci et c'est possible que les documents peuvent íªtre faits avec la renonciation de frais si vous qualifiez. Plus, il peut souhaiter voir s'il qualifie pour TPS qui peut confirmer qu'il est dans le statut légal, temporaire et actuel. Bonne chance. Pasee on journey!

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.


Assuming you are a U.S. citizen you can petition for your husband to become a permanent resident of the United States. Generally speaking, since he entered the country legally he can obtain a work permit and social security number during this process. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can advise you how best to proceed.


In order to become a US citizen, he must first be a legal permanent resident. The steps necessary for him to become a legal permanent resident depend on your status, among other things.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I agree with my colleagues. Your husband must first become a permanent resident before he can apply for citizenship. Speak with an experienced immigration attorney for help.

Good luck!

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. A consultation with an experienced attorney is always the best way to go.


My colleagues are correct and they have provided you with excellent analysis and answers. You should consult with an immigration attorney to assist as your spouse has several options. Good luck.

Mr. Lorenzon's answer to your question does not establish an attorney client relationship, but rather is meant to share knowledge with the general public. For specific advise on your case, you need to consult one on one with an immigration attorney. Mr. Lorenzon can be reached at 216 573 7322 or at All initial constulations are free.


Your husband may be able to adjust his status to that of a legal permanent resident. The USCIS fees are $1490. Attorneys base their retainers on experience.
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry


As a United States Citizen you can sponsor your husband to get his greencard. You will have filing fees and attorney fees for the process. The filing fees run you about $1450.00 The attorney fees can ony be determined by speaking with you about your situation. Our office is located accross the street from the USCIS in Jacksonville, Florida

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer