Skip to main content

My special needs child came home to tell us that his bus driver touched him. Do I have any recourse from the school district?

San Jose, CA |

My three year old son, described a specific person acting in a terrible way, without wavering. We called the police, but because he is so young, they said it would be bad to put him on the stand. Also he had a delayed speech, so it was difficult for others to understand him- not us, by the way. Now he has improved his speech tremendously with therapy. He still talks about this bus driver, can the school district help him with counseling? Also, we have moved to another city so he can continue his education without further trauma

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Possibly, talk to a lawyer in that area. It would depend if the school different was somehow to blame ie...negligent hiring or policies that allowed this. Since the police did not get involved, I suspect it will be difficult


Let's start with the hard fact that if your child is a reliable reporter, there is a guy out there in a job with access to little kids who touches them where he shouldn't. That is just not acceptable.

We can't reliably reconstruct at this point in time whether the cops were right, but the police response to you raises the critical question of whether this person was investigated by the district employer. If the school district receives a claim from you with a demand for therapeutic services, the school can either accept the claim or deny it, but either way your claim will cause investigation by the district. Either way the district's lawyers will be on notice of the claim and will be alert to what they may have there in their critical workforce. Either way, your claim can operate to cause required attention to the possibilities here, and to enhance the observation and constraints for similar conduct by this guy at the expense of other little kids.

You can't get sued or hurt for making a claim.

So, consider talking to a local attorney with specific experience in actions against public entities. Discuss with that lawyer all of the reasons and potential benefits favoring filing a claim in addition to the regular objective of reimbursement for the costs of treatment for your child.

NOTHING SAID HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE! Read this notice BEFORE you contact me! My posts on Avvo in response to the public's questions are never offered as legal advice. Do not rely on any response posted by me as applicable to your specific problem or circumstances. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions - Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or my law firm. My law firm does not provide free consultations. See for further details on that issue. Please do not call or email me with a “few questions.” I give advice, make recommendations, and answer specific questions only after reviewing the documentary record and other evidence applicable to a specific client, and only in the course of or following a conference with my client in which all of the relevant information can be identified and developed. AND I give legal advice ONLY in the course of an attorney-client relationship created and defined by a written contract for services, signed by my client and by me or a member of my firm, for which payment has been made. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; professional (State or federal licensing agency) discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic disputes involving universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We accept grievances, administrative claims, arbitrations, mediations, negotiations, and other non-litigation matters pertaining to employment, hospital and facility privileges, tenure, and contractual disputes. We conduct seminars and training in employment law for employers and union advocates, and in issues of professional/occupational licensing law for criminal defense attorneys. We accept NO contingency work, and we take no matters for which CCP discovery is applicable.


This is a special education need that the school should accommodate. I would consider speaking to a special education such as Karma Quick at

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer