Skip to main content

My sons social security number was used by an illegal alie 3 years ago. he has given up on it. Is there anything else he can do

Gilbert, AZ |
Attorney answers 1


Ccontact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 1-800-908-4490 to report the identity theft. Your son (and you if he is a minor) will also need to fill out the IRS Identity Theft Affidavit, Form 14039. See attached link.

You should also notify the credit bureaus in case the thief has opened accounts in his name and with his SS #.

Contact a tax specialist to help get back money that the IRS "took" for taxes on wages that your son did not earn, and thus did not owe taxes on.

A police report should also be filed by you (or your son if he is over 18) with the local police where you live. See attached link for more information and forms.

Answering a question through the AVVO forum does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor does any followup email. Do not send any confidential information as any right you have to confidentiality is waived (given up) when you post it through AVVO or send it by email. John Fason customarily does not agree to an attorney-client relationship unless there is a written contract describing the representation.