Skip to main content

My sons biological father signing over his rights.

Powderly, TX |

My son has been raised by my Fiance and I since he was two months old (14 mo now), from birth he has been with me. His biological father has seen him a handful of times, never paid child support and purchased very few items for my son. My son was born in michigan, however we are now residents of texas. No father is listed on my sons birth certificate. Could his biological father sign away his birth rights, either by choice or by force? HE has never been in my sons life and the fact that he can show up at any time and demand a DNA test and I have to let my son see someone he doesn't even know is terrifying.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Why not marry the fiance and adopt. Give notice to the bio dad. He can consent to the adoption OR fight it. You can use his abandonment of the child to fight back if he challenges.

This is a very clean way to handle the mess.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer