Skip to main content

My son was married 8 months ago and it may not have been legally filed. He now seeks a divorce, Is there any way to validate?

Atlanta, GA |

They got married over a weekend in Savannah GA, I can't fine records through online sources. Is there a way to validate? Is he still at legal risk if he goes on without some legal action. He filed taxes jointly with her does this represent a problem?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


There are no online records of divorces in Georgia so stop looking online.

It is very easy to get married in Georgia. You go to probate court, pick up a license in about 5 minutes and then have any judge or mninister sign it. If they did that they are married. (They are supposed to return it to the probate court, which records it so there is a record (which can only be looked up in person), but the marriage is valid even if they miss that step.

Your son needs a divorce. That means he needs a lawyer.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


It is unlikely that you would find any record of marriage licenses online Georgia. Does your son have a marriage certificate?

It sounds like he needs to contact an attorney for assistance. He also needs to go to the probate court where he obtained the marriage license and get a copy of the license and the certificate. Then, he needs to see a divorce lawyer.

Nothing contained herein shall be considered or construed as creating an attorney client relationship between the party asking the question and the attorney. All legal problems are different. The answer given is only a general response based upon the facts provided and should not be considered specific advice for your case. Always contact a lawyer for advice about your particular circumstances and issues. For additional information, you may wish to view our firm website at Our firm can assist with custody, child support, divorce, contempt, separation, and other family law matters in Cobb, Fulton, Dekalb, Forsyth, Paulding, Douglas, Bartow, Cherokee, Gwinnett, and other counties in the Atlanta Metro area.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer