Skip to main content

My son was in a terrible accident which left him in ICU for several weeks and he will need many more weeks in the hospital.

Milwaukee, WI |

He has no insurance and no job. The hospital wants my husband and me to sign as guardians for him. He is 36 and has nothing. Can they come after us for payment to the hospital if we sign for him? He was hurt in a motorcycle accident and no other vehicle was involved.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

I'm very sorry to hear about your son's mishap. I've handled many m/c crashes and they are always very damaging. Is your son communicative? If he's not that may be a clue about what the hospital wants. As the others who have answered this question say, you should consult with counsel over what it is the hospital wants you to sign. But I suspect it is an effort to put you in a position to make decisions regarding his care. As for the medical expenses, if your son has limited assets he probably qualifies for medical assistance and application should be made for him to his county of residence promptly. The hospital social worker can help with that. Best of luck and best wishes for your son's recovery.


You can take the documentation they want you to sign to a health care law attorney in your state who should be able to advise you if they are attempting to hold you responsible or just need your authority to make certain medical decisions.


You need to carefully read whatever it is that they want you to sign, and if you have any doubts about what it does or does not obligate you to do, have an attorney review it and advise you before signing anything.

This answer is provided for general information only. No legal advice can be given without a consult as to the specifics of the case.


You should also have a personal injury lawyer investigate the cause of the accident despite no other cars being involved. Could be a road defect or defective bike.


I am very sorry to hear about your son, I hope his recovery is swift. If he was in the accident and it the fault of another person, or he was passenger, you need to consult with a personal injury attorney immediately. Any good personal injury firm will discuss the case and probably review this paper you refer to without a charge.

I would not even consider signing it without an attorney reviewing it, if it is in any way unclear as to what the document means for you as the signatory. It is hopefully just a document in which you state you will make his health care decisions while he is unable to do so himself, but you want to be sure.

Sorry again to hear about his accident. Hang in there.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. Neither I, nor my firm, represent you, and you are not considered a prospective client. I cannot guarantee that any of the general opinions above are accurate given the scarcity of information provided in a post on this site, no matter how detailed that post may appear to be. If you have any legal concerns whatsoever, you need to consult an attorney immediately to determine your rights or responsibilities. Any answer provided is not a source of legal advice upon which you can or should rely in any way, shape, or form. You cannot be sure of how to proceed unless you actually retain an attorney who agrees to advise you, and the answers given on this site are not, nor could they ever possibly be, a replacement for retaining an attorney directly.

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer