Skip to main content

My son was hit by a car right in front of our house while riding a skateboard down the driveway. thousands in medical bills

Little Elm, TX |

several children playing in the street that day as well as 8-10 parents watching. the person came up the street not paying attention and hit my son and sending him to the hospital. who is liable here, this is a residential neighborhood. there were no cars or obstructions on the street that day. he had a clear view of the kids and should of slowed down.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9


based on what you've said, the person who hit your son is probably responsible.



More facts are needed to assess your potential claim with any degree of certainty but it sounds like you may have a very good claim. You should consult with a board certified personal injury attorny in your area. There are many. Check on google or right here at AVVO. Good luck.

I am not your lawyer and an answer on AVVO is not intended as legal advice but is provided for general informational purposes only. If you desire legal advice, please consult a lawyer and form an attorney client relationship.


Hi Little Elm resident. I recently handled a case with what sounds like very, very similar facts (except my client's son was riding a bike, not a skateboard.). The insurance company for the driver originally denied the case and we convinced them to pay out the policy limits on the case in a relatively short time frame.

I'd like to know more facts, but would welcome your telephone call. We will discuss your options with you for free, and you can then decide whether to hire us or choose someone else. But, I would strongly suggest you hire an attorney.

Our number is 972-960-0000. FYI, we have recently helped a couple of people in Little Elm, including one of your police officers there.


I would need to get more facts from you, but there is a good possibility that we could establish liability on that driver.

I am "AV" dated by Martindale Hubbell, which is the highest rating awarded for ethics and competence. I am a former police chief, police investigator, and assistant district attorney. I would be happy to speak with you at no cost and with no obligation to hire me.

Visit my Avvo website or my website at and then call me at 512-708-1650.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at and Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at


I agree with he attorney that answered and more facts are needed. A person driving a car has an ongoing duty to keep a proper lookout as well as other duties. You did not mention what the speed limit is what how fast you though he was going but obviously people should drive the speed limit and/or at a speed that is reasonable and prudent considering the circumstances. If the street is filled with kids perhaps he should be driving slower. I hope the driver had insurance. I hope you also have car insurance perhaps there are other avenues of recovery. Get an attorney

I am an Arizona attorney. AVVO does not pay us for our responses. Simply because I responded to your question does not mean I am your attorney. In Arizona a non-lawyer is held to the same standards as an attorney so there are dangers to representing yourself. This is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. If you require legal assistance an in depth discussion of your case is needed as there are many other issues to consider such as defenses, statute of limitations, etc.

Gary A Kester

Gary A Kester


Excuse the typos


Would need much more facts to determine a yes or no. Did you call the police? Did anyone get a ticket?
PJ Maadani


Whether a person is riding a skateboard or a bicycle automobile mobile drivers must keep a proper look out. The automobile driver in your case may be at fault for not maintaining a proper lookout, improperly controlling the vehicle, failing to turn her vehicle to avoid a collision and not yielding the right-of-way.
Your/your sons’ potential lawsuit may involved seeking monetary damages for physical pain and suffering, mental anguish, and impairment (should that be the case).


Even if your claim is denied by the other drivers carrier and police report faults your son, 9 times out of 10 when I file suit in such instances, the carriers will pay. It takes some artful work but they generally do not want to stick their head out and put a case with minors in front of a jury.

This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.


The biggest problem you have is the fact that they were "playing in the street." I don't consider that a bad thing. Not in the America you and I grew up in. We have to defend the rights of our children to be outside. Adults are responsible for motor vehicles. No case is perfect and I certainly do not know all of the facts, but I like the sound of it. Unfortunately, the worse your son was hurt the more viable the case is from an economic standpoint, but I would still have to know more. But I would be surprised if you could not find several qualified lawyers to sit down with you and evaluate this case. You'll probably have the opportunity to hire one you find comfortable with. Choose a board certified personal injury lawyer to limit uncertainty about track records. Call me if you like. I would be glad to answer any of your questions.

The answer provided by counsel in the AVVO forum is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information is opinion only and given free of charge without full understanding of all facts and the law applicable to any question-poster's individual circumstances. The best advice is to take the question from this volunteer forum to a more formal communication with a practitioner in the specialty area indicated by the nature of the claim.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer