Skip to main content

My son was hit by a car can i sue for compensation

Princeton, IL |

My son was crossing the street, was struck by a vehicle, and received many injuries. I do not know if he was in the crosswalk or not. The accident did occur at night; however, it was in a well-lit area.

He was struck by a police officer. He received a broken nose, black eyes, concussion, missing teeth, and a lacerated kidney. He needed no surgeries (thank god).

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I am sorry this happened.

If your son has been injured due to someone else's negligence, you may consider filing a personal injury lawsuit. If your injury is not serious, you may want to pursue other options.

Gather all pertinent documents and any evidence at your disposal. Much of the record-keeping should be done from the moment of the accident, before you even meet with your personal injury lawyer. Write down everything you remember about what happened, before, during, and right after the accident. Videotapes, photographs, and witness names and testimony will help a great deal. Then contact a personal injury lawyer. Your personal injury lawyer will take your case through civil court proceedings and will try and contact the other party to reach a settlement. Filing an official lawsuit may not be necessary.

After suffering an injury you only have a certain amount of time to file a lawsuit. The statute of limitations varies by state. Illinois' is two years. If you miss the statutory deadline for filing a case, your case is thrown out of court. You may read about people being awarded millions of dollars after suffering minor injuries but serious "emotional distress," but these cases are rare. Be realistic about the damages on which you may collect reimbursement.

Your personal injury attorney will listen to your account of what happened, review your case carefully, and determine whether or not you have grounds to sue. If you decide to go ahead with a lawsuit, your personal injury attorney should handle all the legal proceedings and keep you informed every step of the way. Of course, you can file a lawsuit by yourself, but having a personal injury attorney is highly advisable, because trying to navigate the legal system without any expertise is very difficult. Personal injury lawyers draw almost entirely from court decisions and theories published in the legal community. Your attorney will explain the laws that apply and that will govern your case. Make sure you ask questions and understand the answers your lawyer advises you about.


I hope your son has a full recovery.

You should consult with a Personal injury immediately.

Get copies of all related medical bills and records and have your son keep track of any lost time from work if he works.


The short answer to your question is yes. As you've heard from the other lawyers, it is important that you consult with someone who concentrates his or her practice in personal injury cases as quickly as you can. Your son's health comes first, of course, but there are a number of things which should happen fairly quickly in order to make sure that your son's case is as strong as it can be.

I hope he has a complete recovery.

Michael W. Clancy


I am sorry to hear of your son's recent injuries. You should immediately consult with a personal injury attorney on behalf of your son.

Under no circumstances should you allow the police or others to interview your son or take a statement from him, without first consulting with a personal injury attorney. Do not allow the police or the insurance carrier on behalf of the police access to his medical records without first speaking with a personal injury attorney.

You should take some clear photographs of your son's injuries while he is still in the hospital and after he leaves the hospital, as this will be helpful evidence for his attorney.

Do Not Delay in Seeking Counsel.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer