Skip to main content

My son was given a citation for open container in a motor vehicle and possion of alcohol by a minor. Should we hire a lawyer?

Covington, KY |

He was pulled over for speeding on the interstate. He was given a sobriety test and passed it. He had an open container of beer in the car. He was given the citation # 00470 and 02124, and the officer had him call someone to drive him home since he is under 21. He is an 18 year old college freshman.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes, you should definitely hire a criminal defense attorney who handles alcohol-related offenses such as MIP (minor in possession) in the Covington area. I am not licensed to practice law in Kentucky, but I would imagine a lawyer can get these charges reduced.


You should hire a competent criminal defense lawyer in your area. These are not very serious offenses in KY but you still need counsel.

KRS 189.530 (2) [open container in a motor vehicle] carries a $35.00-100.00 fine plus court costs of approx. $135.00; KRS 244.085(3) [minor in possession] is a violation carrying a fine up to $250.00.

A violation is not a crime in KY. The case may be eligble for diversion or volunteer work hours in lieu of a conviction.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


Your son is fortunate that he was not intoxicated, however you should be concerned that if these offenses show up on his permanent record, it could have a negative impact when he looks for a job.

You should hire an attorney who will do his or her best to get your son's record clean again. NOW is the time to take care of this, before something else unexpected happens that could impair his ability to get this matter off his record.

Donald W. Aaron

Donald W. Aaron


Although my caption reads child custody, I also practice criminal law in Northern Kentucky.