My son was convicted on drug related charges Can he records be expunged?

Lorton, VA |

He was convicted on just the use of drugs. But violated probation then served his time. He has benn out for about two yrs. this happen about six yrs ago. He can't get or keep a job because of background checks.

Typically, an adjudication of guilt cannot be expunged.

John S. Riordan, Esq.
West Palm Beach, FL

The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.

Unfortunately, for a drug conviction in Virginia, an expungement is not permissible according to Virginia law. The only way to have such a record erased is through a pardon from the Governor, which is a complex and difficult process.

It is difficult to achieve employment with a conviction, but I wish you and your son success in the future.

A conviction cannot be expunged in Virginia. He can seek a pardon if he was actually innocent and later proven so.

Mr. Goldstein is a Virginia-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting Mitchell Goldstein or the Goldstein Law Group does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege until otherwise advised.