Skip to main content

My son was arrested for attempted robbery in 2006, he left the state, what is he facing if he turns himself in to the courts?

Greenville, SC |

He went in to his place of employment and went to the cash register to take out some money, a coworker closed the drawer and told him he did not want to do this. She also offered to help him, he said there is no help for me. He took no money and left she called the police he was put under house arrest. After about 5 weeks he was working and a coworker convinced him he was facing a long prison term if he stayed. He stole about $2000, from us and took his bracelet off and left town. He is now in rehab for substance abuse and would like to clear this up. He has not committed any felonies has been pulled over by the authorities were he now lives and no warrants have appeared when they pull his info. He says he did what he did for drugs,he was young and stupid.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

I agree with my colleagues. Bottom line: he messed up, and he needs to get back to SC and get a good defense attorney to try to unravel this problem, before he is caught as the fugitive that he now really is. Turning himself in will be one of the things he must do, but he needs to have a legal mind filter through his situation.


Bench warrants can be issued for certain areas of the country or the entire country at the election of the solicitor. It appears this was issued for a part of the country he is not livening in. If he turns himself in it is very unlikely he will not be given a bond given that he has demonstrated he is a flight risk and has skipped the state already. This charge will not go away and without knowing more about the facts and the actual charge or charges it's impossible to answer that.


I agree with my colleague. The chances of getting out on a bond if he turns himself in are low. He should speak with a criminal defense attorney where the charges are still pending against him and see what can be done to clear this up. Depending on the charges he may be facing jail time plus a fine, but hopefully there would be some other options.


The fact that he left the state with these charges pending does not go in his favor. However, the fact that he recognizes the cause of his actions, which cause he presumably fixed, and the fact that he is willing after all this time to submit himself and face up to it do speak for him. How much depends on the facts of the matter, the victims, the officer and the prosecutor. He should speak with an attorney to better understand his position and how this may turn out. As my colleagues have mentioned, bond would be difficult. However, depending on how everything is now situated, and whether he wishes to plea, a bond may not be necessary.