Skip to main content

My son's father makes 3 times more a year than I make, is this fair?

Fort Worth, TX |

My son's father and I share joint physical custody out of Duplin County, North Carolina. I live in Texas (26 years) and he is in the military stationed in Georgia. Our most recent order (1/1/12) does not say anything about me paying child support. He filed for it in Texas, and told them he has had full custody since 12/2006. When he only received joint custody in July of 2009. The state has now added an additional $17,000.00 in back child support on me, even though I had FULL custody up until July '09. The state is taking $715 a month from me which is way more than 1/2 of my monthly income. I tried to get a revision but they told me that I have to wait until 2013... I can't afford to live with less than $500 a month after child support. What can I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You have an order dated 1/1/12 (impossible - no court is open on New Year's Day)? Saying what? Is it a custody order? When was support filed for in TX (and why? the father doesn't live there, so why was it filed in TX? Or, was is filed in NC or GA and registered in TX for collection?) You need to clarify and add a lot of detail.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155. Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer