Skip to main content

My son's father and I were never married and are not together. What documents do I need to take my son to the UK?

Springfield, OR |

There is no custody, but my son lives with me and visits his Dad. He has a passport and I have taken him before, with permission of father. This time we want to stay for six months. Should I carry a letter with his father's permission, and what if he does not agree to this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

This is really an international law question, not an immigration question. You could run afoul of the Hague Convention on International Child Abduction. You should consult with a family law attorney who is experienced in international child custody issues BEFORE you take your child about the country. I've added those practice areas to your question.


This is really a question for an lawyer that deals with immigration issues. I have added immigration to your category. Also I would call the Embassy for the UK and ask them if there is someone there that can answer your question. It would also be a good idea to get a formal custody order in place.

The comments by this author to questions posted on Avvo are designed to foster a general understanding of what might be the law governing the area of the legal problem stated and suggest what might be the approach to finding a legal solution. Under no circumstances is this author acting as the attorney for the party who posted the question or as the attorney for subsequent readers to the question or response and no attorney client relationship is being formed. This attorney's comments are not intended to be a substitute for getting legal advice from a licensed attorney. A reader of this author's comments should never act on the information provided in these comments as though these comments were legal advice and should always seek legal advice in a personal consultation with an attorney in their jurisdiction before taking action. The information provided here is not intended to cover every situation with similar facts. Please remember that the law varies between states and other countries and is always changing through actions of the courts and the Legislature.


This is not an immigration law question, really. Not US immigration law question, anyway.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.