Skip to main content

My son has been in jail 2 months & since has developed a massive infection in his foot. Could this be a form of Malpractice?

Labelle, FL |

He was in a near fatal car cc 2 years ago & has severe drop foot & nerve damage , never any problems until he went to jail 2 months ago , his foot has been swollen , oozing and purple for over 6 weeks now & the nurse at the jail is only putting ointment on it & telling him to try & elevate it when he can , my son has no feeling in his foot & the Dr that comes once a week said it may have to be amputated . I believe he isn't getting proper care being it has been over a month plus & he isn't healing or being given mess or having it seen or tested for MESA . How does he have no problems for almost 2 years with his disability & then goes to jail & after almost 2 months is being told his foot may have to come off ? ? ? Something isn't right & I believe there is some malpractice going on .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Consult an attorney ASAP as correctional institutions have guidelines they must abide by.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


Best bet is to retain a local civil rights attorney to get this resolved.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


Your son needs to hire a lawyer who understands prison law. It is the indifference to his condition which is the issue.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed. You may call me 772-562-4570; email me, or visit my website


The medical care provided in jail/prison has to fall within the acceptable standard of care. Without seeing the medical records it is impossible to know if the proper wound care and antibiotics were given to your son. You should contact a medical malpractice attorney in your state so that the medical care that has been provided to him can be reviewed.


Your son may have a case for medical malpractice, depending on exactly how he was cared for. He also may have a case for violations of his civil rights because he was denied adequate care. Both of these fields are highly specialized. Make sure you are comfortable with your attorney.

My response to this question does not mean I agree to represent you in any proceedings. This information is also not subject to attorney-client privilege.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer