Skip to main content

My son father agreed to give up his rights, what steps can he take so that his rights are relinquish and my husband can adopt?

Deltona, FL |

After 5 years, my son biological father has decided to give up his rights. He has not been active in my son life since he has been born. I've been married for 5 years and my husband wants to adopt my son. My son was born in Florida and we both used to live in Florida and have family in Florida, but the father lives in Kentucky and I live in New York but it would be easier for both parties to start court proceedings in Florida. Can we choose to start the proceedings in Florida?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I think, if you are in complete agreement with the biological father on everything, for you both to agree that Florida's Courts have correct subject matter jurisdiction for the biological father to consent to the adoption and for you to file the petition for adoption. But is there any reason you do not want to file in New York? I really think New York is the State where the Courts have proper subject matter jurisdiction at this point.

Please note that the answers provided herein are the attorney's professional opinions based upon the attorney's experience based upon the information provided to the attorney as part of the attorney's participation in the setting of this forum. No responses posted by the attorney in question are intended to be legal advice or professional advice of any kind. No attorney-client relationship is being established or solicited. The attorney will not make any communication with the person asking the question unless that person independently contacts the attorney outside of this forum.


I also agree with my colleague -- it sounds like New York is the proper place to do a stepparent adoption. What is the basis for wanting to do in Florida when none of the parties involved live there?

/s/ Ophelia Bernal-Mora, Esquire
Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A.
37 N. Orange Avenue, Suite 500
Orlando, FL 32801
PH: (407) 354-5223

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family & criminal law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


Florida would be the proper place to bring a step parent adoption if you reside here. It appears you need to get this done in NY.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer