Skip to main content

My son died & I received a wrongful death award of 50K. I am the administrator of his estate and only survivor.

Cranford, NJ |

My lawyer is stating that I need to hire a CPA to produce to him a certification that he does not owe taxes. He was 18, worked part time, does not owe any taxes and has no debt. Do I legally have to hire a CPA to get this certified? Everything I've read states that since it is a wrongful death award and is estate tax free. This is in NJ. Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I'm sorry that I am unable to answer this question as I am only licensed in California. However hopefully you receive answers from some local attorneys who will be knowledgeable in regards to this issue. However, another possible source of information for you would be to just contact a accountant and ask them what their opinion is in regards to this matter. Also, I am extremely sorry to hear about your loss.

I will be happy to speak with you at no cost with a FREE phone consultation if you have a San Diego or California matter. Please call my office at 619-238-1905 or visit my website at



I don't know NJ law so I can't answer your specific question but you might contact the probate court for guidance.


Your attorney may be talking about any income taxes that your son may have owed prior to his death. I suggest you clarify this.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.