Skip to main content

My son and his 17 year old girlfriend are pregnant. In the state of PA is she considered a legal adult after the baby is born?

Apollo, PA |

She will turn 18 in October. The living conditions at her house are not suitable for her or own soon to be born new born. Her father does not work (not because he can't because he won't) and her mother works at a restaurant part time. They do not have gas or water and their electric will soon be shut off. Can her and the baby move in with my husband and I after the baby is born without having her parents sign legal guardianship papers?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Certainly when she is 18, she may do as she wishes in terms of moving in with your family. In the meantime, if it is safer at your home, she should consider moving in with you - does she really expect that her parents will initiate a court action to make her return to them in a home that is without basic utilities? Is it possible for her and your son to have a talk with her parents in order to reach an agreement? That might be a good approach. Failing that, she should consult an attorney who can review the entire situation with her and give her options, including referrals to local agencies that may provide help and shelter to mothers who are minors.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer