Skip to main content

My social security benefit was denial. It stated because I am still able to brush my teeth, take a bath, and walk.

Jacksonville, FL |

When in fact, it would take me more than 5 hours to rest in bed after vacuuming the floor, or grocery shopping. Should I retain an attorney to file the appeal? A lot of advertisement stated an attorney can help the appeal process? Is it truth? How the attorney get paid when people are denial for SSI benefit?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


You should contact an attorney. Cases before SSA are handled on a contingency basis and the payment comes out of your past due benefits.
An attorney that regularly handles SSI/SSDI cases can definitely help navigate the process.

Persistence really is the key!

This answer is intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice nor forming the attorney client relationship. This attorney is licensed in Kentucky


The key is what restrictions your doctor has given you. I agree, you should talk with a local SS attorney that handles appeals.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


You should absolutely contact an attorney who specializes in Social Security Disability. The attorney gets paid a fee only if you win your case, and the money comes out of your back award (25% with a current limit of $6000.) You have nothing to lose by calling an attorney, and everything to gain.

You can go to to find a list of experienced attorneys in your area. In my opinion, a local attorney is usually preferable to an attorney from a national firm.

Attorney Inga Stevens is licensed in Maine. She provides general information on No attorney-client relationship arises out of the information given here.


We are a small local firm with two attorneys. We would be happy to talk to you about your case. As the other attorneys have mentioned, the fees are contingent, so we don't get paid unless we win. We would also be happy to send you our free book that explains the disability process, Cutting Through the Red Tape. Our number is (904)-384-8808.


At the initial stages of the Social Security process most applicants (about 90 percent) are denied. What an attorney can do for you is prepare the medical records/opinions to demonstrate to the Judge that although you can perform basic hygiene functions, you would not be able to work on a sustained basis. You may call me at 904-443-7770 if you wish to discuss your case further.


You may want to talk to an attorney in your area so you can review the specific facts with counsel. If you do not have an attorney, there are a number of good attorneys in your area, some of whom you can find here on Avvo. You may also contact your local city, county or state bar association to see if they have a lawyer referral program, or you may contact your local legal aid office if you cannot afford an attorney.

You may also contact the National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives (NOSSCR) for the name and email address or telephone number of attorneys in your area. The telephone number for the lawyer referral service of NOSSCR is 1-800-431-2804. NOSSCR's website is

In addition, you can find a Board certified specialist in Social Security by contacting the National Board of Trial Advocacy. They evaluate lawyers (independently) in many types of claims and require extensive experience and testing before a lawyer is certified. They have a section specifically for Social Security: The National Board of Social Security Disability Advocacy, Divisions of the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification.

Their link is:

You may also contact NADR (National Association of Disability Representatives) – automated Telephone Referral System at 1-800-747-6131.

Most attorneys who do any amount of Social Security work are members of NOSSCR and provide a free initial consultation. In any event, no attorney may charge a fee for work on a social security claim until it has been approved by Social Security. The fee limit is a maximum of 25% of past due or back due benefits you are owed, and many lawyers charge less than the full 25%, and the money is not paid until your claim has been approved.

I hope this information helps. Good luck to you!
Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Go see an attorney.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.