Skip to main content

My small business is growing, should I get a CPA, or a tax lawyer?

Baton Rouge, LA |

My small business is growing into a mid-size business. The question now is should I hire a CPA or a tax lawyer. I am looking to maximize the tax codes in my favor, as well as make sound investment planning for my future. While I will be making calls next week to set up interviews, what should I look for in my CPA or tax lawyer, that many people don't look for?

Any information will be of great help to ask. I want to make sure I hire the very best to handle my business needs, and wants.

Thanking you for your time, respectfully submitted

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you can handle the forms by yourself. Get a tax lawyer.


There is value in both roles and you may need either or both for different reasons. Why not find a tax lawyer that is also a CPA? You can decide for yourself which position helps you more, but you would have the best of both worlds.

James Frederick

I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state.



Thank you Sir. I am going to do some calling around, and this is one of the questions I was going to ask. I do hope I can find someone that does both rolls.


If you have any sort of possibly questionable/shady thing going on, hire a tax attorney.

Most taxpayers don't realize that when a tax attorney files a tax return on a matter that the attorney-client privilege is generally "lost" as to that matter.

If your problem is management control, loss control, book keeping, computer records entry and generation, you can hire a book keeping service or a CPA with such service.

YOU need to remain IN CONTROL. Attorney gives advice and evaluation, but does not file. What you say remains privileged. Get others to generate your numbers.

File your own taxes if you can, or get a CPA. Remember these others (book keeper, CPA, EA) are generally not privileged (there is a weak federal privilege but its very thin)

The attorney is not privileged if you have him file returns on those matters.

Please remember to designate your question's BEST ANSWER.

Curt Harrington
(562) 594-9784

Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization PATENTAX.COM This communication is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm.



Thank you Sir. I run a very clean business, so am not worried about that at all. I do love the way you think on Control, and attorney for giving advice. I will also, keep in mind to file my own taxes.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer