Skip to main content

My sisters husband borrowed money from me over a year ago how long do i have to file a lawsuit

Calumet City, IL |

he keeps promising to start paying me back but never does

+ Read More

Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes
Attorney answers 2


In Illinois 5 years if the contract is oral and 10 years if it is written. If you have a written agreement then the 10 years starts from the date of the most recent payment or written promise to pay. If the sum is substantial you should hire an attorney to assist you with the matter.


Some kinds of agreement must be in writing to be enforceable pursuant to the Statute of Frauds. Your post reveals too few details to know for sure. So, see a local lawyer with all petinent information to determine if the agreement you had with your brother-in-law is enforceable or not