Skip to main content

My sister's green card expired 5 years ago.

San Diego, CA |

She has been living here in US. She had to go out the Country 2 months ago and now wants to return to US. Should she renew her green card now on line or wait until she gets back to US. Will she have a problem entering the US?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


She would most likely have a problem returning to the United States if she does not try to renew it now. She is still a Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States, but she will be required to show proof of that status when attempting to enter the United States. Typically, Immigration officers at the various airports in the United States want to see the expired Green Card and a receipt notice for the application to renew the Green Card. She could also have her attorney in the United States take her passport to the local US CIS office following filing of the renewal application to have a stamp placed in the passport showing that she's still in Lawful Permanent Resident Status. All of this assumes that she is eligible for renewal, i.e., she did not violate Immigration law to the extent that she would now be inadmissible to the United States.