Skip to main content

My sister hit a parked car the other night. what are the penalities?

Union, NJ |

my brother coming home the other night from her friends house. he feel asleep there..woke up aound 530 and decided to leave. as he was driving i guess closed her eyes for a minute and crashed into a parked car. he freaked out and kept driving home (we live like 3 blocks away) got my parents and went right back to the scene with them. the cop gave him a leaving the scene ticket even though he went back like not even 5 min later. what are the penalties involved in that since he did go back and the cops didnt come find him?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Contact a lawyer. Hit and skip and/or hit and run both mean hitting and then escaping usually by an automobile driver who flees from the scene of an accident in which a person like your brother was involved. Leaving the scene often refers to a driver leaving the scene after doing property damage like running a car into a parked car and then leaving to escape without reporting. These are often used interchangeably, even in legislative wordings and court opinions. That your brother went back with your parents and did report might work in his favor, but still a lawyer is necessary in my view.

This is a serious offense. Conviction for leaving the scene of an accident in some states (I do not practice in NJ, I am in Chicago, IL) involves mandatory license suspension and can also include hefty fines. The penalties increase depending on the severity.

Have your brother contact a lawyer and establish an attorney client relationship. There are many good ones in NJ that appear in the Avvo site, which might be a place for him to begin the search.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney-client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your locale with whom you enjoy an attorney-client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.



what if you hit a parked car but dont do a hit and run like i hit a parked car down the street from my house and called my mom and she came over there and then called the police and they came but i got a ticket for not having my windows properly defroset and i have to go to court for that and im 16 and i was wondering if i could lose my license for that or what type of penalty i would get?


I agree with the above poster. You should contact a reputable traffic attorney to discuss your options. I am located in Springfield, New Jersey and would be glad to speak with you about how to proceed. Please do not hesitate to contact me at or call me at 973 467 1060. Also, please check our traffic ticket website at for more information.

The Law Offices of Lane M. Ferdinand and Steven Weisbrot only provides legal advice after having entered into an attorney client relationship, which this website specifically does not create. It is imperative that any action taken be done onadvice of counsel. Because every case is different, the description of awards and cases previously handled do notguarantee a similar outcome in current or future cases.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer