Skip to main content

My sister died, no will, 2 beneficiarys listed on 2 items (life & 401k), no beneficiarys listed on the other 3 NoRealProp MedBil

Long Beach, CA |

do i need to file for administrator? i don;t want to pay med bills as they shortened her life with their lack of knowledge. and i am doing a fair split with father and boyfriend, family agreed to

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


The beneficiaries listed on the life insurance and 401K are entitled to those assets. If you believe the doctors or hospital caused issues, you need to assert those claims not do your own offset. You will open yourself up to liability. How much is in the other assets. If its more than $150K, probate is necessary. Regardless, because you indicate there could be bills, you would be wise to consult a probate attorney.

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. While I am licensed to practice in New York and California, I do not actively practice in New York. Regardless, nothing said should be deemed an opinion of law of any state. All readers need to do their own research or pay an attorney for a legal opinion if one is necessary or desired.


Mr. Shultz has provided his customary outstanding response. I agree with him and would simply add that, if the other three assets were titled in your sister's name alone, with no beneficiaries named, then probate will be necessary, unless the total value is less than $150k. Family agreements do not eliminate the need for probate.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!


First, if you believe you have a claim for medical malpractice, consult with an attorney practicing in that area. Whether the estate needs to be administered depends on the value of assets. Consult with a probate attorney for the best way to handle the estate.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.


I would simply add that your "fair split" may require gift tax returns. You definitely need a probate attorney.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. The answer to question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. Mrs. Cook is licensed to practice law throughout the state of California with offices in San Diego County. She is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States, and is also licensed to practice before the United States Tax Court. IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, please be advised that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used or relied upon, and cannot be used or relied upon, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.