Skip to main content

My significant other is in the middle of a court case. Will I get pulled in too?

Portland, OR |

My significant other (not married) and I live together and she is in the middle of a court case against her ex in which she was the witness to a crime he did. I have a previous record from a couple years ago from before I even met her. Are the police or court interested in me since she is living with me? I'm sorry that this is probably a really broad question but the only connection between me and the court case is the fact that I live with her and she is a witness.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Jay and Joanne are largely correct. If you didn't witness the act that your significant other witnessed it is highly unlikely that you would be called to testify. If it is your prior record that you are concerned about you shouldn't be. If an adverse party attempted to discredit your significant other by pointing out that he or she is seeing or lives with someone with a record such evidence would be absolutely inadmissible.

Assuming you didn't witness the event, the only way you would ever be called in would be to testify as to your significant other's "reputation for truth telling within the community". In that situation you would be a poor witness because of your relationship. Sleep easy.

Jeffrey K. Traylor


Not necessarily. You'd only be called as a witness if you personally saw something that happened, or if you could testify as to the low reliability of the witnesses - and even then it's not guaranteed.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give legal advice about laws in other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended to be for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:


It is possible that you could be questioned as part of an initial investigation because they just want to know if you know anything. Beyond that I don't see why anyone would be interested in you or what you have to say. Your personal history doesn't appear to be in anyway connected to the present case with the ex-husband.

The comments by this author to questions posted on Avvo are designed to foster a general understanding of what might be the law governing the area of the legal problem stated and suggest what might be the approach to finding a legal solution. Under no circumstances is this author acting as the attorney for the party who posted the question or as the attorney for subsequent readers to the question or response and no attorney client relationship is being formed. This attorney's comments are not intended to be a substitute for getting legal advice from a licensed attorney. A reader of this author's comments should never act on the information provided in these comments as though these comments were legal advice and should always seek legal advice in a personal consultation with an attorney in their jurisdiction before taking action. The information provided here is not intended to cover every situation with similar facts. Please remember that the law varies between states and other countries and is always changing through actions of the courts and the Legislature.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer