Skip to main content

My question is regarding the change of status ( HOB to 1 visa ) .

Eden Prairie, MN |

I am Alwin and i am currently in HOB visa . I wish to peruse my graduate degree in US and i have an admit from CUM ISM program . The program starts in May , 2013 . I want to know if i can do a change of status ? I am hearing mixed responses from people . Is there any risk if i go with Change of status rather than traveling all the way back to India for getting stamped ? Please assist

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

I assume 1 visa means F1? If it does and you did not violate the terms of your H1B visa you can definitely do COS. Remember, changing to F1 and not attending school is a direct path to deportation and the quickest one. .



Thanks Alex.I did mean H1B. I have an admit and i would definetely attend the school.But what i am worried is the short time.My program starts in May 2013.I was looking if there was a way to file COS intead of travelling to home country for stamping.


There are no HOB or 1 visas in the US. If you are speaking about H-1Bs and F-1s, the fastest way to be on F-1 is to obtain an F-1 visa stamp abroad. A change of status in the US by May is unlikely.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


you need to carefully examine your options. Being on F1 visa/status will imply you are not working full time.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer