Skip to main content

My passport is expired. I am going to apply for i 751. Do they need my passport or they just extend my green card for 10 years

Greensboro, NC |

applying for i 751, and my passports is expired. if they approve my 10 year green card ,. Do they need my expired passport or just send me my 10 year green card ( In case I am approved)
Is nothing to do with my expired passport?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

Repeat question. Read the instructions to Form I-751. Where do you see that you must mail-in your passport alongside the I-751? Nowhere. Again, the I-751 filing receipt will state "Lawful Permanent Resident Status" extended for a year, travel and employment authorized." You don't need anything else. Renew/extend or get a new national passport at your nearest consulate. That is your responsibility; no one else's.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


You do not need your passport to extend resident status or remove conditions.

Attorney Robert Brown's (former INS Director, 1972-99) reply to your question is general in nature, and does not constitute legal advice as all facts are known to him. For specific advice or representation you should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law. Mr. Brown's reply on AVVO does not create an attorney/client relationship not constitute legal advice.


I-751 has nothing to do with your passport. Focus on proving the validity of your marriage.


For this application it is not necessary to include a copy of your passport. Work with an immigration attorney directly for best results.

Gunda J. Brost Brost Law Office This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.


I think Mr. Behar has given you superb advice. and fyi, I sure hope they don't need the original , expired passport, im a usa citizen, but my expired , and I couldn't on a bet tell you where it is /its LOST so ...