Skip to main content

My passport has expired and I want to enter Mexico, I'm a US citizen, will I be held at the border crossing for hours? days ?

Sacramento, CA |

I want to try and enter Mexico on foot at a pedestrian crossing, will Mexican officials allow me entry without a passport, and if so, what can I expect when I try to re enter the US? detention for hours? days? jail time?

+ Read More

Filed under: Immigration
Attorney answers 3


you can likely enter, but good luck getting back into the US. I would recommend getting your passport updated before your journey.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


The law requires you have a passport.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


I do not recommend leaving the country without an updated passport, as it is the required form of identification. You should obtain a new passport before traveling.

[This answer is for general purposes only; it does not constitute advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.]