Skip to main content

My partner recently passed and his car registration is due. Should I pay the registration? It will be sold in the future

Rocky Hill, CT |

we were together 16 yrs and there was no will. CT doesn't recognize common-law marriage. His kids are getting everything. The car will be sold in the future but not before the registration is due.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I agree completely with my colleague, Mr. Weatherby. Also, you should not operate the vehicle under any circumstances as the fiduciary of the estate is the only person who can giver you permission to use the vehicle.

This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship will not be established with me unless and until you have executed a written agreement for me to represent you.


I am so sorry for your loss. Why do you want to pay the registration? Assuming that you will benefit, even for a short time, then you need to see if your state requirments for registration can be met. For example, do have have to show proof of insurance?
Best of luck.

This does not create an attorney/client relationship. I am licensed to practice law in Kansas and Missouri only. I only represent clients with a signed contract and who have either paid a fee or I agree to represent through the VAP project at Legal Aid of the Western District of Missouri.


My condolences on your loss. You have no obligation to pay the registration on the car. If the car goes to the kids, they are the ones who should be concerned about paying the registration. An exception to this is if your partner listed you as beneficiary on the registration of the car then it passes to you. Were you owed any money by your partner at the time of his passing? If you were you can file a claim for those amounts and be paid from the estate, assuming you can document what is owed to the satisfaction of the executor.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER This response is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. This response is only for general informational purposes. It is limited to only provide general information about the matter asked by the question. Virtually always the question does contain all of the necessary facts that if provided could significantly alter the information provided and result in the reply being inappropriate. I strongly suggest the questioner to confer with an attorney in his or her state with experience in the subject matter of the question so that proper legal advice may be provided. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney providing an answer. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your state, who is familiar with all of your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. Law changes frequently and can differ greatly from one state to another. The answers provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance identified by the question or not contained in the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - No information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.