Skip to main content

My parents want to do an addendum to their wills in Florida should it be titled Addendum to Last Will and Testament or Cordicil?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

My parents want to do an addendum to their wills in Florida should it be titled "First Addendum to Last Will and Testament of john Doe published June 10th, 2000" or "First Cordicil to(for) the Last Will And Testament of John Doe which is dated June 10th, 2000"
I John Doe on this date October 14th, 2012, in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, (zip), located in Broward County, being of sound mind, memory and of my on free will make, ordain, publish and declare this to be an addendum to my or (Codicil) for my Last Will and Testament published on June 10th, 2000, herby revoking all prior (addendums) or (cordicils) and will effect only the areas listed : Which are Section (Second, Third and Fourth in their entirety and to be changed to read as stated:
Second : (body of second)
Third: ect
Fourth): ect

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


In order to insure that this document is valid and enforceable, it should be prepared by an attorney. This is basic estate planning and it should not be expensive. If it is not worth $200 for a Will, how do you justify the thousands of dollars in expense to fix the problems, down the road?

James Frederick

*** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.


Why not just have the attorney that drafted the will in the first place revise it.

I am an Arizona attorney. AVVO does not pay us for our responses. Simply because I responded to your question does not mean I am your attorney. In Arizona a non-lawyer is held to the same standards as an attorney so there are dangers to representing yourself. This is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. If you require legal assistance an in depth discussion of your case is needed as there are many other issues to consider such as defenses, statute of limitations, etc.


Codicils generally require the same formalities as a complete Will to be effective. And with document assembly software, an attorney who concentrates in estate planning may be able to provide an updated Will for little additional cost. It's a good idea to have a Will reviewed every few years, and especially if a Will is over ten years old it is worth hiring an attorney.

Nothing stated in this answer, or on any pages linked to this answer, shall be construed as legal advice, nor shall anything in this answer by itself operate to create an attorney/client relationship.


To respond tot he question, the proper term is "Codicil".

My colleagues are correct--have a lawyer prepare the codicil, or better yet, do a new will altogether, so that everything is in one document. What happens if the will is located but the codicil is lost?

I hope you found this response to be of assistance. This response shall not be considered the rendering of legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. While Avvo is a wonderful resource, nothing can be a substitute for an in-depth consultation with an attorney in the jurisdiction in which the law is to be applied. This response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.


Why not have your parents consider a living trust.
The minimum probate fee in our office is $2500 plus costs
and can be avoided with a properly funded trust.
The cost of a trust can be less that the costs of filing a probate case, .advertising, and the
cost of bonding-not to mention the attorney fee.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.