Skip to main content

My parents are both natrulized citizens i have a green card how do i get a passport to travel,i am 69 came here in 1947

Antioch, CA |

I came here as a non quota green card in 1947.Father became citizen in 1948 mtother in 1961
I would like to travel how can i do it?i was told if parents are American citizens that made me a citizen automaticly is this so.i dont know how to proceed.
Please Advise
Thank You
Serge Dubois

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Perhaps, not, which may have created other complications, where you voted or served in a jury. I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney, before you take any further action. It is unclear whether you may have made a serious, but unintentional mistake. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.


If both of your parents naturalized before you turned 18 years of age, you can present proof of same to a regional passport office and they will issue you a U.S. passport. You can apply for a cetificate of naturalization, but that is not necessary for you to obtain a U.S. passport.

If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


Questions of derived citizenship are not as easy as they look. The law about it has changed through time, and we need to have specific facts to know which law applies. If you were not yet 18 when your mother naturalized in 1961, it sounds like you could be a US citizen. I suggest you consult with an immigration attorney close to your area to be sure. Good luck.

[This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.]


You should consult with an attorney. Whether one has obtained derivative citizenship is very fact specific and more information is needed to properly advise you.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104