Skip to main content

My own criminal record/ criminal history report.

Hillsborough, NJ |

In the past I have had hired a private investigator to do a criminal history check on myself. After being charged in abundance of 14 times by a certain individual and a specific police department, I learned that charges were on my record as guilty when in fact they were not. I also learned that a charge was listed as pending when in fact it was also dismissed. I contacted the state and they supposedly investigated and fixed the mistakes that were on my record for over 3 years. Do I have to again hire a P.I. to get my complete criminal history again or is the state required to give it for free? Also can I take any steps to file anything against this P.D? Internal affairs and the prosecutors office is less then helpful. I believe there is a investigation on me so they are no help.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

You can Run a background check on yourself through the state police and the FBI. It's much cheaper. If you still have a problem with your record, call a lawyer for assistance.


The State Police website has instructions for getting you criminal record through them. You will have to go for fingerprinting. It's pretty quick. Good luck.
The Murray Law Firm
50 Harrison Street, Suite 310F
Hoboken, NJ 07030-6151
T: (201)875-2600
Facebook: (Follow by clicking the "Like" button")

*IMPORTANT: Do not rely on Attorney Murray's response as the information provided on this website is NOT legal advice nor is it a substitute for legal advice which requires a consultation with a lawyer. Attorney Murray's response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. If you have any specific questions concerning a legal issue, you should consult a lawyer. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information on a Q&A website such as Avvo. Attorney Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted on Avvo are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. New Jersey residents: NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. The selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:


I agree with Mr. Mark!

Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. There are always specific facts that are important for an attorney to review before providing advice to a Client. In no way should you rely on the response provided herein to conduct your legal affairs on your own. You should always hire an attorney before you rely on advice provided.


State Police.


Here is a page about requesting an FBI background report. Your state police can provide a local history report.

<a href="" title="Omaha criminal defense lawyer">Petersen Criminal Defense Law</a> Hiring a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisement. The information presented on this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor create an attorney-client relationship. The information presented may not be up to date due to rapidly changing law. You should consult an attorney before taking any action.


Google "New Jersey Criminal Record" and it will take you to the State Police website. It costs about $42.00 to get fingerprinted and obtain a copy of your criminal record. If there remains anything on your record, contact an attorney. New Jersey law allows for the "expungement" of your record. This process will eliminate any record of arrest or the dismissal of any charges. Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer