Skip to main content

My OPT ends in August. What can I do to get an OPT STEM extension when my program is mis-classified (wrong CIP code)?

Richmond, VA |

The program is in the process of having the CIP Code corrected but that will not happen until after my OPT ends. What options do I have to extend my stay until this situation is resolved?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Talk to DSO

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


I agree with my colleague. Essentially, the DSO needs to rectify this issue and they can request an expedite in the SEVIS system especially if they caused the erroneous CIP code they ought to do the right thing and be compelled to straighten the issue out. Good luck.


You will need to figure it out with your school representative.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog: