Skip to main content

My only income is $840.00 per month social security. I live with my son as I coudn't pay the mortgage on a house I own.

Wenatchee, WA |

I'm 82 and the harrassment is really getting to me from creditors as I have credit card debt plus other debts. . I have to file for bankruptcy. I've always had too much pride and I don't want anyone to know about it. In Wenatchee as I am too well known. All bankruptsies are published in The Wenatchee Business Journal. . If I have an attorney in Spokane, 175 miles away, will it still go into the Wenatchee Business Journal?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


If the harassment from debt collectors is getting too much to bear, but you are "judgment proof", why file bankruptcy at all? If you only have social security income to protect, it's likely that filing doesn't make much sense. There are other ways to stop collectors from bothering you. This way, you won't have to impact your pride by filing bankrutpcy.

This is AVVO, a place for users to obtain general legal information to general legal questions. I am glad to help you in any way I can, within those limits. I wish to make clear I am only communicating with you for the sole purpose of exchanging such general information, and nothing more. It is not legal advice, which I can not provide because among other reasons I know few of the necessary details of your situation. I do not purport to represent you in any way, shape or form. Of course, if you would like to seek out my services, and if you are a NY resident, I will probably not put up very much resistance but representation would still necessitate a signed retainer agreement between yourself and I. Thank you.


If the local journal publishes bankruptcies, it may also publish lawsuits and judgments, which is a possible result of having too many creditors.

The benefit of peace of mind from creditor harassment needs to be balanced against your desire for privacy.

As my colleague has stated, if your only asset is social security, you are essentially judgment proof, and need not use bankruptcy, but if judgments are news in the journal, you should pick your poison.

My clients in this situation seem to benefit more from having telephone privileges restored and peace of mind from collections, than continuing stress.

General legal advice is offered for educational purposes only. A consultation with a qualified attorney is required to determine specific legal advice as to your situation and applicable law. We are a debt relief agency and we help people file for relief under the bankruptcy laws.


Yes because he will file it in your county because that is where you live.

This answer does not create an attorney client relationship between you and I. I am not your attorney unless we both sign a written contract that describes our relationship and terms of the representation. Any information provided to you here is not a substitute for the advice you need to pursue any legal matter. I advise you to retain the services of a local attorney before taking any legal action in this matter.


Many times you might be surprised that some of the communications these collectors are making to you are illegal. Feel free to send me a message, I would be happy to talk to you to see if there is more information I could provide to help.

I am not sure the amount of your debt, but you have displayed a desire to keep things discreet. A lot of the time, if a letter is sent to these debt collectors to inform them of their illegal activity and the possibility that you might sue them for it, they stop their illegal activity, pay you a settlement amount (up to $1000.00 for their illegal activity, and in other circumstances $500 per call if called by an auto-dialer after you told them to stop calling you), and many times waive your total debt and request deletion of the trade lines, all dealt with in a confidential manner. Again feel free to contact me, and I hope this helps.

Please do not take my answer to be legal advice that would establish any attorney-client relationship. Please take it as a general response from my own experience in response to your question. I hope you find it helpful.


For whatever reason, the wenatchee world and the two business journals find it newsworthy to publish. The bankruptcy courts for our county area are physically located in Spokane and Yakima, so a resident of our counties would be not be filing in a Wenatchee court anyway. If you have resided at or owned property on the west side eg, a 206er, etc, for more than 91 days, you have a chance of filing on the West side.

Under the federal fair debt collection practices act, amd the washington state debt collections act they may be violating the law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer