Skip to main content

My now ex wife took our State of Missouri and our IRS tax refunds and forged my name and cashed both checks without my knowledge

Saint Joseph, MO |

This was done while we were married. Do I have any recourse through the State or IRS to recover my 50% of these checks?


+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Call the IRS helpline at 1+800+829+1040 and if not successful contact the IRS Taxpayer's Advocate Office, in St Louis at 314-612-4610. Also call the Missouri Taxpayer Advocate. Otherwise you have to sue your EX. I don't think the District Attorney would take the case. To find out report it to the police because it is a crime. Also sue her in small claims court.

Let me know what happens.

Disclaimer of California Attorney
Although the above response is believed to be accurate, it should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice because the information provided is incomplete. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. No attorney client relation is formed with me without a written contract.

Good Luck starts with a strategy and a plan.

Robert J. Suhajda, MS,CPA
17721 Norwalk Blvd. #43
Artesia, CA 90701

Former financial auditor and controller. Admitted to US Tax Court, Income Tax, IRS representation, Fiduciary income tax returns, Estate and Gift tax returns,
Homeowner Association Strategist.

As a strategist, I analyze and integrate the operations, reserve study, budget, and financial statements into a unitary plan for 1 – 5 years, utilizing my experience as
a former treasurer and vice president of a homeowners' association and corporate
controller and auditor, to minimize homeowner association dues.


This is now a civil matter against your ex wife. Contact her and demand your portion of the refund or you will take legal action to enforce your rights.

Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.