Skip to main content

My New York attorney wants to change my parents deed so they have a Life Estate and I have the remainder interest.

New York, NY |

Will this change in the deed preserve their STAR Exemption?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Once you are the title owner, you will need to apply for your own STAR exemption. If there are other exemptions (senior, veteran) to which you are not entitled, you need to inform the Dept of Finance to "restore" the taxes accordingly.

(1) I may be guessing. Do not act or rely upon this info; (2) We have not established an attorney-client relationship; and (3) If you insist I tell you something upon which you can actually rely: don't eat yellow snow.


The life tenant is responsible to maintain the taxes and therefore maintains any tax exemptions he or she is currently recieving or entitled to.


It won't have any effect on the star exemption or any other exemption they have. It will take the house out of their estate and allow them to live their the rest of their lives while still benefitting from any tax exemptions.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.


It will not effect the STAR or any othere xemptions they are entitled to. It will ease any ownership issues regarding the property after your parents pass away.

When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on NY law as I am licensed in NY. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel.