My neighbor is granting me an easement on a small portion of this property, approximately 20ft x 50ft. He produced an easement

Riverside, CA |

deed, and we paid an engineer to produce a Legal Description to be attached to the deed. Generally speaking, is this all that it would take? Just file the easement deed with legal description attached and that's it?

Best Answer

Yes. You should record this at your County Recorder's office. There will be a filing/recording fee.

Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice

If you want to avoid problems down the road, particularly with respect to subsequent owners of your property, I suggest you have the proposed deed reviewed by a lawyer to make certain that the grant is what you and the neighbor intend. The grant can also contain additional provisions, such as those dealing with responsibility for repair and maintenance.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

I agree with atty Hoffman, but if you are still uncertain, get a free consultation with a real estate attorney who can put your mind at ease. Good luck

With in the easement deed, you should have the legal description of the easement along with the specific usage granted. If applicable, you want to include who is responsible for the maintenance and repair as damages caused by said usage. Edward C. Ip www.lawyer4property.com

No attorney / client relationship established. The answr is for discussion and general information only. The lawyer had not reviewed any documents or contract prior to the above comments.