My mother was in an at fault car accident in my vehicle. Now other retaining a lawyer. What happens next?

Charleston, SC |

My mom was in accident in my vehicle. Now the other driver is retaining a lawyer for bodily injury. What happens if the other driver wants more than what my insurance is willing to pay?Do I have to pay the difference or does my mom?

Theoretically it could be you but that is rare. Your insurance co will hire a lawyer to protect you.

Hopefully your insurance is sufficient to cover the damages/injuries sustained by the other driver and you do not have to worry about the question you asked. But, hypothetically, if the insurance is not enough to pay for those damages, the injured party would be able to pursue any negligent party for the difference in order to be made whole. Your mom, as the driver involved in the accident, is the obvious party to pursue although it is not clear from your summary that she was at fault for the accident. She would have needed to deviate from some standard of care in operating the vehicle in order to be held responsible. Because it is your car that was involved, you could theroretically be held responsible for the difference if you negligently entrusted the car to your mother. But not enough facts are known in order to be able to even hazard a guess on the likelihood of that outcome. Your best course is to turn this in to your insurance company and not worry about it.

I am not your lawyer and an answer on AVVO is not intended as legal advice but is provided for general informational purposes only. If you desire legal advice, please consult a lawyer and form an attorney client relationship.

You insurance company will have a lawyer represent you. Pre suit the insurance adjuster will handle the claim. If the other party actually files, a lawyer will be assigned to defend you. Good luck!

The information in this website is provided as a general legal reference . The reader is advised to check for changes to current law and to consult with a qualified attorney on any legal issue. The use of this material does not create an attorney-client relationship with the Lovely Law Firm or any of its attorneys. When transmitting information over this website, you understand and agree that Lovely Law Firm will have no duty to keep confidential the information. Because the information posted on this website is prepared for a general audience, without investigation into the facts of each particular case, it is not legal advice: neither Lovely Law Firm or any of its attorneys has an attorney-client relationship with you. The thoughts and commentary about the law contained on this site is provided as a service to the community, and does not constitute solicitation or provision of legal advice. While we endeavor to provide accurate information at this website, we cannot guarantee that the information provided here (or linked to from this site) is accurate, complete, or adequate. We provide this general legal information on an ‘as-is’ basis. We make no warranties and disclaim liability for damages resulting from its use. Legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, so nothing provided at this site, should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent counsel. Finally, using this website or sending email to the host does not create an attorney-client relationship. The material in this website may be considered advertising under applicable rules. If you need to speak to an attorney about your specific legal issue please call the Lovely Law Firm at 843-839-4111

Unless this injury is huge, it is likely the insurance will be enough to cover it. The insurance company will provide a competent lawyer lawyer to defend this action.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com