Skip to main content

My mother is an illegal resident of the united states and has been since I was born. I heard that she can get a greencard/visa.

Brockton, MA |

I heard she can get a greencard or visa when I, her son, turn 21. I'm already a citizen. If this is true, would it affect my chances of getting into the military?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Your chances of getting in the Military should not be affected because of your mother's immigration status. You are judged for your actions, not others' actions.

As for your mother, I suggest she consult with an immigration attorney to determine a course of action for her immigration status.

The above is NOT legal advice, and is NOT intended to be legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is created through the above answer.


She can obtain her green card, if there are no other obstacles, through you when you turn 21 only if she entered legally. If she entered through the Mexican border then she will not be eligible. This should not affect your military eligibility. Good Luck.


Maybe. Depending on the manner in which she last entered the USA.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.


Yes, it is possible, but it depends on how she entered the U.S. Consult an immigration attorney.


No her status would not affect your chances of getting into the military. I recommend consulting with an attorney re: your mother.

Agarwal Law Offices 3 Dundee Park, B10 Andover, MA 01810 This information is for informational and educational use only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


Your mother's status or lack of should not affect your military application but that is beyond my scope as an immigration attorney.

I can however tell you that you can apply for your mother to get a Green Card when you turn 21. If your mother entered lawfully then usually you can apply to adjust your status in the U.S. She has to prove that she is 'admissible' and that she is not subject to a number of grounds of inadmissibility including a criminal. If she is you can still apply for a waiver of some of the grounds.

If she did not enter legally she may have to apply at a console outside the U.S. but she should definitely consult with an immigration attorney before she leaves the U.S. Depending on the amount of unlawful presence she has accrued she may trigger some other bars on reentry to the U.S. You may also be able to apply to have this waived before she leaves the country.