Skip to main content

My mother is 62 & was detained by ice in Houston airport for two petit theft charges back in 1982 what are her chances of avoidi

Boise, ID |

NG deportation? Would it be best to hire legal representation in Idaho where she resides or Texas?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It is difficult to answer this quesiton without much more details. As far as her deportation is concerned, where was she traveling and what are her potential applications for relief from deportation? Answers to these questions and some others may determine the answer to the quesiton you post.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


What a weird story.. Mother's chances of avoiding "deportation" are excellent if you hurry and retain a LOCAL immigration attorney in Houston where she is currently being held, if nothing else just to have her released on bond or on her own recognizance and make a motion for a change of venue to the immigration court closest to you in Idaho.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


This is a complex matter because there have been changes in Immigration laws since your mother's convictions. i would agree that her chances are good to successfully litigate the case, but you definitely will need an Immigration attorney with knowledge and experience in criminal convictions and forms of relief in Immigration court to defend your mother's case.