Skip to main content

My mother had me take out more than I needed in college loans and stole my college refunds. What can I do?

Boston, MA |

I recently started looking into my student loans, and things really didn't add up. I found out after some research that although my parents stated they were helping with college they were not. Furthermore, my mother was handling the loans and having me take out more than I needed! then taking the refunds, saying that they were being refunded to her because she had paid.

I never had any inkling my mother was doing this to me. I now have $60,000 in student loans (for 3 out of 4 years I went to a school where the annual tuition was $3000). It is not 10 years later, I have 4 kids to take care of and I cannot believe she did this to me. Do I have any legal recourse?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I am sorry to hear this. The statute of limitations may have run on this matter. You did not notice the amounts on your credit report? Why do you think it is identity theft? Did you sign the loan application?

The information on this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. Attorney Satterwhite invites you to call or e-mail for more information, however, visiting his website or contacting him does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send information that may be considered privileged or confidential prior to establishing an attorney-client relationship.


Go see a lawyer ASAP; you may have a deadline which is about to expire.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.


If she falsely endorsed the checks in your name, you may have a shot. What does your father say? Where is your mother, now? I agree that this is a matter you should have a lawyer look into directly -- you may be able to recover from the loan agency, from the school, or from her or your father, but it is difficult to tell online.

The foregoing answer does not establish an attorney client relationship, is not confidential, and should not be relied upon in place of an actual consultation with an attorney. Mr. Boone is licensed to practice in Massachusetts, before the U.S. Tax Court, and the Federal District Court of Massachusetts. Most initial consultations are free. Further information is available on my profile.