Skip to main content

My mother died in a nursing home without a will,she died in financial debt.The state took a lean against the family forclosed

Cape Vincent, NY |

home. Prior to her illness she and I seeked out lawyers to regain controll of the property from my uncles girlfriend,whom fraudently took out 3 mortgages while living there.W hen this girlfriend,whom lied and said she married my uncle (while she was still married to her first husband) died then these three banks that never bothered to contact my mother to verify these loans wrote her a "Dear Customer letter ! My mom never knew about the loans until my uncle and girlfriend were dead.My uncle was only the temporary trustee of said property.Is there anyway I can recover our family property ?

+ Read More

Filed under: Estates Family law
Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Get as much information as possible together and go see a lawyer. Your best recourse may be to go against the banks on some negligence theory, but it sounds like a real mess.

This answer is made for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party, any partnership, investment plan, arrangement, legal structure or other transaction addressed herein.


Maybe, but it sounds like a huge mess. You should speak to a lawyer ASAP, and keep in mind this is going to be no simple matter. The exact equity in the house should be significant, or else, I don't know if it would be worth it.


This is a matter you will want to discuss with counsel. To make any consultation fruitful have as much information and documentation you can. It is easier to piece together what has happened and what if anything can be done.

The above answer does not constitute an attorney client relationship and/ or retention of counsel. This answer is based upon the facts presented and may change if additional information is provided. The rules of the Bar for New York State may require me to advise that this could be construed as attorney advertisement.