Skip to main content

My mother and I have joint checking & savings accounts - is my half subject to PA inheritance tax when she passes?

Allentown, PA |

We are mother and daughter. I have power of attorney and have checks deposited it joint accounts. Is this the best arrangement
to manage our finances as we combine incomes?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If assets are held in a joint account with rights of survivorship , one half will be taxed if either you or your mother pass away. The tax rate is 4.5%. A better solution might be for her to have an account with you as the agent under a power of attorney. That way, you can act on her behalf to manage matters but your assets would not be commingled with hers and would not be taxed at her death. Also, you must both be careful of how your wills treat these accounts for tax purposes. Some wills have a tax clause that imposes this inheritance tax on the survivor recipient. Other will tax clauses would have this tax paid from the state. There is no right or wrong answer but the best thing is to consider all of the pros and cons, be clear on your goals, and to set the accounts up so that the result that is desired is clear if either of you pass away.


As long as the account was established over a year before death, only one-half will be subject to PA Inheritance Taxes (PIT) at a 4 1/2% rate, so your half will not be taxes.
As to your second question concerning management, this seems to be a good way of managing your joint funds. However, if something happens to you and your mom is no longer competent, this could raise problems. Be sure to look at the power of attorney to see who is your successor power of attorney to make sure that person would be a good choice if you are not available.
Finally, remember that if you add joint tenants to the account you could reduce the amount of assets subject to tax. For example, if you had a husband and two children who are going to share in the estate and you add them as joint tenants then only 1/5 of the account would be subject to PIT. However, the situation and your mom's donative intent must match such a tax strategy. Also, you need to make sure she is not subject to Federal Estate Taxes and that the sole tax issue is PIT.

Hope this helps.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is only in the form of legal education and is intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.