Skip to main content

My mother abandoned me when I was 8 years old. I am now 24 can I sue her for back child support or abandonment.?

Melbourne, FL |

My mother was cruel and abusive so I'm glad she left, but I want to know if she owes me anything?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


No and no. You can't sue her.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155. Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.


You can't sue for abandonment. It's possible for an adult to sue a parent for back child support. You could possibly have sued for child support, and you should speak to a family lawyer about it, but absent some exceptional circumstances, the lawyer will likely tell you that you are above the age at which you can sue for child support.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!