Skip to main content

My mom passed away and dad is incompetent, can their son fight for the original will that was made 6 yrs ago or the new one?

Albuquerque, NM |

My parents made a will 6 years ago. They revised it a year ago, they were both legally competent at the time of revision as well. Can my sibling/their son go and change the land deeds, being that he has power or attorney of my dad? Or does whatever the will states, stay in place? He is getting advice from an adult protective services worker. This worker informed him to change the land deeds back to the way they originally were. This doesn't sound right. Can the adult protective worker be giving legal advice to her to change stuff? Does he have legal right to do such things.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Unless the APS worker is a lawyer he/she shouldn't be giving legal advice. Even if they are a lawyer, your parent and sibling are not their client. That said, your father's Will doesn't take effect until he is dead and it is probated. To avoid costly mistakes your sibling with the POA needs to consult with an elder law attorney.


I agree with Mr. Davis. I would just suggest another possibility. It seems to me that if the deeds were changed, the APS worker may be suggesting that the changes were not proper and should be undone. It is possible that your brother may have acted in a way that would breach his fiduciary duties. This, of course, depends on what was done.

Your brother needs to consult with an attorney. You may need to do so, as well.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!


The last will governs as both were competent. Your brother should consider your fathers last competent wishes. The power of attorney must be durable to apply during incompetency. Changing deeds while he is alive could make the transfers easier. I'd consult with elder care attorney how to do this, not a social worker

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer