Skip to main content

My mom is charging my fiancee with assault after a fight that she started which occurred at the door of my!!!

Bronx, NY |

my mom struck first but filed a complaint first my fiancee is now pregnant what will happen to her?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


If your fiancee has no prior record it should not be much of a problem. Hopefully she is only charged with misdemeanor assault. If you mother was not seriously injured, there is a good chance that the case may be dismissed or dropped to a non-criminal charge. Make sure your fiancee does not violate any orders of protection that are put in place. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


I won a trial like this. Your Mom has a justification defense. She should hire a good criminal defense lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


My office is across the Street from the Bronx court house... We handle these cases all the time there.

You have some excellent trial defenses in a case like this but shed probably want to avoid getting that far...

Was there any surveillance in the common area that might show what happened? Any witnesses?

She will se a judge within 24 hours of her arrest and likely be released without any bail and be given another court date to come back.

I'd you're interested in hiring a lawyer for her contact my office immediately to discuss this case.

Contact us for a free initial consulation; at our NYC office at 212-405-2234 or our Bridgeport Connecticut office at 203-633-4567


Have your fiancé retain a criminal defense lawyer right away.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


Hire an attorney and have him arrange to meet with the DA. You can tell the DA what happened if you were there.