Skip to main content

My mom has to turn herself in tomorrow to start her 6 month sentence for there anything I can do to get her out of it?

Northport, NY |

My mom got a DUI about 2 years ago and after doing well for a while on probation, she missed court a couple times then didn't report to probation bc she was afraid shed get locked up. The cops came last Friday and took her in. The judge gave her 6 months in jail. He gave her a week to get her affairs in order bc she takes care of me, my sister, and her landlord who is in a wheel chair. She had legal aid and pled guilty bc she didn't k ow what else to do. Is there any way to get her on house arrest or where she does jail on the weekends or something. I'm really freaking about about this please help!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It is very difficult to change a sentence after the fact. She can ask the Judge if he/she will consider weekends but I would not put much hope in it at this point in the proceedings.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


There is nothing you can do at all.


I am sorry this is happening to your mother.
You can pray for her.

This is not legal advice. If order to give you legal advice i would need to see the Tickets and talk to the court first. Good luck:)


It is not possible to change the sentence. She made very bad decisions and now she must concentrate on the future. All you can do is to suggest she get sober, study for a career, make a 5 year plan to be more successful and follow it, improve her people skills, communication skills, job skills, and get on the right track or this will just the start of her troubles. Please choose "best answer" if this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer