Skip to main content

My middle name was spelled wrong from my DWI arrest in 2005, is there anyway to have that taken off my record and recoup my fine

Dallas, TX |

Today I went to renew my drivers license and they said it was suspended because of a dilenqunt payment from a DWI from around 2005. This is not true because after I paid all my dues I got my license in 2009 with no suspension on it. Today when I look at papers from Texas DPS I noticed my middle name was spelled Gen instead of Gene. Please let me know if I have any recourse here. I would like to get this off my record and have my fines and fees returned.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


If your middle name ws spelled wrongly, that would not alow you to challenge your prior conviction with success.

Any response given is not to be taken as legal advice or to create an attorney client relationship.


Did they make you pay twice? Can you prove that you paid them twice? If not, then I wouldn't expect any refund to be forthcoming to you. Good Luck

Answers provided on Avvo does not form an attorney-client relationship or indicate that the attorney represents or even will represent the client. Responses to questions are provided and based upon the facts as stated in the question. While attorneys attempt to make a complete and accurate response, there is no guaranty or warranty that the response is correct. You are encouraged to seek qualified counsel, licensed in the state(s) which have jurisdiction over the matters for advice. You are also encouraged to be careful as to your postings as the postings are not confidential.




If the DPS has you confused with someone else about your criminal history and you paid fines that you didn't need to pay then you can request a refund. If DPS made a mistake unrelated to spelling your name wrong then you may be entitled to a refund. If they only misspelled your name and you owed them money, then you can't get a refund.
Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
Austin DWI Lawyer

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website,


The misspelling is irrelevant. If you paid your surcharges in full back then, you should be able to recreate the proof through bank records and clear it up withDPS. I know it's a pain, but it's worth it.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.


Not a shot