Skip to main content

My medical records were mistakenly faxed to my place of employment by my former physician's office. Can I sue them and succeed?

Towanda, PA |

Not only were my medical records faxed to my place of work and seen by my boss, there were several things in there that were completely untrue. I told this doctor in July I was never coming back because of his rudeness and unprofessionalism, and today I find there are things in my notes that are not true, and medications he said I took and never have in my life. And then they faxed the records and notes to my job, where my boss was the one who received them. What can I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Unfortunately the applicable law, HIPAA, does not offer a private cause of action against a health care provider. You could bring a claim for a privacy violation under state law depending on the particulars of the transaction.


Roger Traversa

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer