Skip to main content

My license my be suspended because i failed to keep insurance on my car what should i do

Brooklyn, NY |

i dont have the car on my persons at this time my son was suposed to turn the pates in and registered and insured the car in his name what can i do now

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You need to surrender the plates. If your son has absconded with the car (and plates) then you need to report the car stolen. As an alternative, if you are prepared to insure the car, then contact the DMV. If this is the first time you have had a lapse, then you can pay a penalty and keep your license. Otherwise, you are going to lose your license for one day for each day the car was on the road without insurance. And if that turns into more than six months, then the license is gone and you will need to re-take the written and road tests. But in any case, you are legally responsible for any accidents that the dear child has without insurance, which will mean you lose everything.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer