Skip to main content

My lawyer won't give me my file. What do I do?

San Antonio, TX |

I went to pick up my file from my lawyers office. When I got there his secretary only gave me the motion to withdrawal. She said that that is my file. The motion to with drawal is not even signed by a judge. I wasn't even aware of the with drawal until a few days ago. My court is in a few days and I never even received any documents regarding and of this. He never called me or made any attempt to notify me. I also show in the papers I was given that there was supposed to be a hearing however that is no date. This all seems a little fishy to me. What do I do?

+ Read More

Filed under: Criminal defense
Attorney answers 3


Call the Texas State Bar Client-Attorney Assistance Program 800 932-1900

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.


You should go see another attorney and attempt to work out these differences while using your other attorney. Sometimes, when conflicts of this type arise attorneys only want to deal with other attorneys. Not keeping you aprised of your case and your legal situation may be the basis for a bar complaint and you should contact the Texas State Bar if your new attorney cannot resolve the matter.


I don't practice in TX. Call the state bar.

Edward J. Blum